RAFAEL E. KHAN
- Employment Law
- Intellectual Property
- Media Law
Admission to the Bar
- Admitted, 1996
- University of the Philippines College of Law (Bachelor of Laws, 1995; Most Outstanding Legal Intern)
- University of the Philippines, College of Mass Communication (BA Journalism, 1991; cum laude)
Professional Activities and Memberships
- Member, IBP Makati Chapter
- Senior Lecturer, University of the Philippines College of Mass Communication (1997-present)
- Consultant, Office of Sen. Blas F. Ople (1996-1998)
- Corporate Secretary, Swedish Match Philippines Inc. (1991-present)
- Director, Transaction Network Services Philippines Inc. (2014-2023)
- Director, General Mills Foods Inc. Philippines (2013-2017)
Awards and Publications
- Author, The Employment Law Review – Philippines monograph (7th to 9th Edition)
- Author, various articles, Philippine Association of Voluntary Arbitrators (PAVA) Journal, 2016-2020
- Chambers and Partners Asia, listed 2010-2013
- Legal 500 Asia-Pacific, listed 2015-2018
Mr. Khan is a Senior Partner in Siguion Reyna, Montecillo & Ongsiako. He joined the firm in November 1995.
Mr. Khan’s practice includes Employment Law, Negotiation, Intellectual Property Litigation and Corporate Rehabilitation.
In his Employment Law practice, Mr. Khan has advised some of the largest Philippine corporations on restructuring, reorganization and redundancy issues, including multinationals such as Coca-Cola and utilities such as PLDT and Maynilad Water. He has handled landmark Supreme Court litigation on these matters for power utility MERALCO, and telecommunications companies PLDT and DIGITEL.
Mr. Khan’s Negotiation practice has seen him advise corporations on collective bargaining agreements; high-level employee engagement, compensation and severance documentation; Intellectual Property licensing agreements; and Mineral Production Sharing Agreements, for clients in diverse industries such as media (TV5), airlines (Cathay Pacific), music publishing (Warner Music), natural resources (St. Augustine Gold & Copper Ltd.), telecommunications (PLDT, SMART), water distribution (Maynilad), advertising (Lowe Lintas) and education (Ateneo de Manila University).
He also has considerable experience in litigating intellectual property issues, having enforced trademarks for lighter manufacturer Swedish Match Philippines and petroleum company PETRON; defended against patent infringement claims for Ayala Corporation’s AVIDA unit and packaging company Alcan; and sought relief under the TRIPs Agreement for pharmaceutical Pfizer.
Following financial crises in 1997 and 2001, Mr. Khan was involved in the Corporate Rehabilitation practice, pursuing creditor relief for the Philippine Bank of Communications (PBCOM) and Equitable PCIBank (now BDO), and acting as restructuring counsel for BPO Epixtar and paper product manufacturer PICOP. He was a co-counsel for the Philippine Stock Exchange in the landmark PSE v Puerto Azul Land Inc. case before the Philippine Supreme Court.